Welcome to the Santa Fe River Bill of Rights Campaign (SAFEBOR)
Five Reasons to support SAFEBOR
- Our laws are failing to protect the Santa Fe River because the river does not currently have legal rights of its own.
- The Santa Fe River and springs are part of the largest concentration of freshwater springs in the world; they deserve to exist and to thrive.
- The Santa Fe River is pivotal in the economic, social, cultural, and spiritual life of Alachua County’s citizens, and is used to “brand” Alachua County.
- We want our children to be able to have the same experiences we’ve enjoyed in the springs and on the river.
- The Santa Fe River springs are the top layer of the groundwater that supplies our drinking water. If we save the springs, we save our drinking water.
Our legal system prioritizes business and commerce over natural living systems such as the Santa Fe. As a result, the State of Florida is not protecting our local life support system, the Santa Fe River bioregion. In order to level that legal imbalance, we aim to amend the Alachua County’s home-rule charter on the 2020 election ballot. This amendment would grant the Santa Fe River System full legal rights to thrive. The first step in this effort is a petition drive to gather over 20,000 signatures from Alachua County’s registered voters in support of the Santa Fe River Bill of Rights, by the deadline of February 21, 2020.
- Sign the petition to put the SAFEBOR initiative on the 2020 Alachua County ballot
- Volunteer to ask friends and neighbors to sign the petition.
- Donate. Political campaigns are expensive. If you love the river, please put your money where your heart is.
We are having regular, informal canvassers meetings at Curia on the Drag on Tuesdays at 11:30 am. We will also have an evening canvassing meeting at the Millhopper Public Library on Wednesday, October 23rd, from 6pm to 7pm in the evening. At these meetings you can get questions answered, bring recruits for sign-up, get clipboards/petitions, and turn in petitions. In the meantime, if you are interested in gathering petitions, you can submit your interest using the pull-down menu above at the Take Action/Volunteer pull-down menu above for SAFEBOR. Thank you!